Monday, May 15, 2006

Rodent Spotlight

(A whole Report Article couldn't fit into the show. Well, since everything from the show must be typed, we are putting it up anyways. )

[Now, for your host, Mandy the Fennic Fox!]

Welcome, and thank you for listening. This is my first spotlight, and I had to think about it. My best friend, Howl the wolf? Pellet the hamster, my bud who I always count on to eat the leftovers from Howl's many steak dinners, or Flinch, the guinea pig who seems to be ignored? I took a mock poll, and didn't tell the public it was backwards. Here were the results:

Howl: 23 votes
Pellet: 56 votes
Flinch: 3 votes

So Flinch won. I interviewed him personally, asking him about his house, job, friends, all the like. I took careful notes as Flinch explained his story to me. Here is what you would see in my notebook, put in full sentences.

Flinch's History

Flinch was born on Friday the Thirteenth, 1999. He doesn't remember the month, but he would like to think it's May. He says he likes the month of May. Warm outside, with lots of pretty flowers. But he doesn't like to remember which month for certain reasons. He had 2 sisters and 1 brother. They were Lilly, Liz, and Hank. His mom's name was Gretta Guinea Pig, with his dad being Calvin Cavy. He truly was named Dare. "I was daring when I was younger, very good at cooking for the family, and rescuing my siblings from the other pets," Flinch said. When his current owners took him home, he was renamed Flinch, since he suddenly got nervous going to a different house. Here are Flinch history Fast Facts:

1. Do you recongize something about his younger personality? That's right, Flinch the Psychologist Rat was based on his younger days, full of rescues and cooking.

2. Flinch used to be all brown. When leaving his siblings and mom, some of his fur turned pale. He got pale too often, so now parts of him are pure white.

3. Flinch used to not be afraid of groundhogs, until he met his newest sibling, Pat.

Now, onto everyday Flinch.

Flinch works at The Fluff Factory, where soft, safe machines are used to make pillows and quilts. He uses some earnings to continue his psychology lessons. He lives in a clean, neat, and bright apartment in the Eastern side of Rodentia, the Brightings, with his friend, Rosa. They have much in common, since they are both afraid of rubber bands. They use chopsticks to pick up all bands and properly place them in the recycling. They don't throw anything away, since they think it hurts the poor rodent empire more than needed. Rosa also has a job, she is a popular rodent author. On the rodent newspaper, which you are reading this very instant, you can sometimes find her stories. She is trying to earn a Rodent Red Carpet award for best author, but is in competion with the author of I'm a Hamster, Nothing Less. They still live in this apartment, and are still working to improve it.

(You can go to the first Rodent Report to read the poem about Flinch's life: "Flinch, the Psychologist Rat.")

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just had to tell you how much I'm enjoying "Old Annabelle's Book of Practical Rats." I loved "Flinch, the Psychologist Rat." And of course "Tom Cheezer" and "Huckleberry Flinch" were two of my favorite stories when I was a little jug-eared kid (though I think I knew them by slightly different titles).

But Ratzo and Rizo? AB, your frame of reference is nothing short of amazing! Keep up the good work!

Love, Papa Boyd